Beaphar Toothpaste is vet strength, and has been specifically formulated for both cats and dogs. Regular use will help improve your pet’s oral health and reduce the need for expensive dental treatment.
Beaphar Toothpaste contains two enzymes that fight bacteria and break down plaque. Protease destroys the protein structure of plaque before it binds with calcium to create tartar. Glucose oxidase breaks glucose down into gluconic acid. This is harmless and produces a small amount of hydrogen peroxide, which provides an antibacterial action and kills the bacteria responsible for bad breath.
It is important to not use human tooth care products on your pet as these products usually contain fluoride which is toxic to animals and can result in serious health problems. In addition, human toothpaste contains a foaming agent, which if swallowed will irritate your pet’s stomach.
Beaphar Toothpaste is fluoride-free and readily accepted by pets due to its delicious liver flavour.
We recommend using the Beaphar Toothbrush with your Beaphar Toothpaste. This handy, soft-grip, double-ended toothbrush has two brush head sizes, each with varying length bristles to help you to reach all your pet's teeth, even the hard to reach areas in their mouth.
ALWAYS FULLY READ THE PRODUCT LABEL BEFORE USE.
It is important to introduce your pet to teeth cleaning slowly. The following steps should be achieved gradually. Do not move onto the next step until your cat or dog is happy with the current step. The duration and frequency of each step needs to be built up steadily to avoid teeth cleaning becoming a stressful experience for both you and your pet.
1. Lift your pet’s lips to expose the teeth. Reinforce this by giving them lots of praise.
2. Once your pet is used to having their mouth touched on the outside, start running your finger along their teeth.
3. When they are accustomed to this, introduce them to a small amount of Beaphar Toothpaste. Place some on your finger, allowing them to lick it off. The toothpaste is liver-flavoured and most pets love it. We recommend using the Beaphar Toothbrush with your Beaphar Toothpaste. This handy, soft-grip, double-ended toothbrush has two brush head sizes, each with varying length bristles to help you to reach all your pet's teeth, even the hard to reach areas in their mouth.
4. When they are used to the taste and texture of the toothpaste, and having their mouth touched you can start to introduce the Beaphar Toothbrush. To do this, simply wet the bristles on the toothbrush and place some Beaphar Toothpaste on it.
5. Allow your pet to investigate and lick the delicious liver-flavoured toothpaste off the toothbrush. Be sure to give them plenty of praise.
6. When they are comfortable with each of the steps, it is time to combine all elements of the training. Start by brushing a few teeth on this session and gradually build-up each time until all their teeth can be cleaned.
Replace the toothbrush after three months, or sooner if the bristles look worn. Thoroughly clean the toothbrush after each use.
Always have fresh drinking water available.